Sacred Heart School’s ISI Inspection Report March 2022
18 April 2022
Dear Parents and Carers,
As you are aware, the Independent Schools Inspectorate visited the school last term from Tuesday 1st March to Friday 4th March 2022 to conduct a full inspection which comprised of a focused compliance inspection combined with an inspection of educational quality. I am delighted to share the inspection report with you which is attached at the bottom of this post.
During the inspection, three inspectors observed a number of lessons, conducted interviews with pupils and examined samples of pupils’ work. They held discussions with teachers, senior members of staff and governors and they also observed a sample of the extra-curricular activities that occurred during the inspection period, attended registration sessions and assemblies.
In addition, the responses of parents and pupils’ questionnaires were analysed, and the inspectors examined regulatory documentation made available by the school. The focused compliance inspection reports on the school’s compliance with the standards and therefore the school is judged by either having met or not met the standard. The key findings are that the school has met the standards in all areas:
• Part 1: Quality of education
• Part 2: Spirtitual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils
• Part 3: Welfare, health and safety of pupils
• Part 4: Suitability of staff, supply staff, and proprietors
• Part 5: Premises of and accommodation at school
• Part 6: Provision of information
• Part 7: Manner in which complaints are handled
• Part 8: Quality of leadership in and management of school.
The educational quality inspection reports on the quality of the school’s work. It focuses on the two key outcomes: the achievement of pupils, including their academic development, and the personal development of the pupils. The school is then graded in the two areas using one of the ISI descriptors: ‘excellent’, ‘good’, ‘sound’ or ‘unsatisfactory’. The key findings are that both the quality of the pupil’s academic and other achievements, and the quality of the pupil’s personal development have both been graded as excellent.
The quality of the pupils’ academic and other achievements is excellent.
• Pupils develop excellent spoken and written communication skills.
• Pupils demonstrate high levels of academic achievement and success in a wide variety of activities beyond the formal curriculum.
• Pupils apply themselves exceptionally well in lessons and demonstrate an excellent attitude to learning.
• Pupils develop excellent study skills so that they are well-prepared for the next stage of their education.
The quality of the pupils’ personal development is excellent.
• Pupils’ spiritual development is excellent and shows a deep understanding of the values and virtues that help them to appreciate the non-material aspects of life.
• Pupils have a very clear sense of right and wrong and are consistently keen to maintain high personal standards of behaviour throughout the school.
• Pupils’ understanding of the importance of a healthy diet and physical exercise is excellent.
• Pupils have an excellent, and hugely positive, understanding and appreciation of people of faiths and cultures other than their own.
As I am sure you can imagine, the staff and Governors are thrilled with the outcome of the inspection. I want to personally thank the Governors for the commitment they show to the school and to Mrs Blake for all her hard work and dedication during her time as Headteacher. I want to thank the fantastic staff we have at Sacred Heart who work tirelessly to ensure our pupils are given the best opportunities at school and the senior leadership team who have supported me over the last eight months. I am so proud of all the children for their continual progress and achievements, the enthusiasm and excellent attitudes they display, and for the respect and kindness they show to one another. I am proud that the ‘Catholic ethos permeates every aspect of the school’ and makes Sacred Heart what it is. Finally, I want to thank you, parents and carers, for your continued support of the school. The Sacred Heart community is a very special one.
With kind regards,
Johanna Collyer Head Teacher
ISI Summer 2022 Inspection Report